Friday, December 16, 2011

I can sew....kind of!

Ok...this post is not so scrapbook related but is about some of my scrapbook tools!

My Mom was here last weekend. It is kind of our tradition to have her come here and we go Christmas shopping together. When she asked what she could bring, I answered "your sewing machine". See, I bought some beautiful fabric at Wal-mart (of all places) back last year with the intent of making a dust cover for my Cricut Expression. Well after I moved some of my scrapping stuff around last winter I realized that I needed covers from my Xyron 510 and now for my brand new Big Shot (that was an early Christmas present from my loving husband! MWAH!). Thankfully, there was enough fabric in the bundle to make covers for all 3!

So on Saturday Mom and I got down to work. I cut and pinned the fabric for the Cricut cover, while she sewed it for me (I was too chicken to use her beautiful, brand new Janome sewing machine). I used a PDF pattern from Custom Crops, found here but tweaked it a little from my tastes.



On Sunday, we were going to do the other 2, but Mom said that she trusted me to use her machine, so I did both the Big Shot (that one was tough sewing the sides) and the Xyron on my own. I basically just lid both on their sides and traced the outline on to paper, then added a 1/4 inch seam allowance...and viola, you have dust covers!





I am so happy with the final result. I even have some scraps left over that I am thinking of using to make a strap cover for my DSLR. Who knows....I may have found a new hobby (sorry Honey )


Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment